Wednesday, June 24, 2009

“PLEASE MR. PRESIDENT”


Last Saturday, I participated in an amazing charity event. CHILDREN MENDING HEARTS is a global arts exchange between at-risk children in America and children living in African conflict zones. CHILDREN MENDING HEARTS educates, empowers and encourages children to have a voice. It also inspires them to a sense of empathy and a desire for world peace.

Check it out at: www.childrenmendinghearts.org

We started the first of many "PLEASE MR. PRESIDENT” workshops early Saturday morning in a large gym at the Union Rescue Mission downtown. URM is a nonprofit organization dedicated to serving poor and homeless people in downtown LA with services including: food, shelter, clothing, medical and dental care, recovery programs, transitional housing, legal assistance, education, counseling, and job training to men, women, children, and families.

The plan for the "PLEASE MR. PRESIDENT” workshop was to work with at-risk children all over America writing letters and drawing pictures to be included in a children’s book in the future, as well making jewelry making and painting T-shirts to be brought to kids in the Congo later this year. Since this was the first event, we weren’t sure exactly what to expect (how many kids, age range, reading and writing levels), but we were prepared and excited.

I ran the letter-writing workshop. I created a simple and fun lesson plan to guide the children in sharing their stories, their lives and their hopes and dreams for the future.

As the families started to fill the gym, an 8 year-old African American girl approached my table. She openly talked to me about how she lived in the Mission because, “her dad hated her mom and left them with nothing.” She told me and wrote in her letter about how he would hit her and that she knows the world would be better if there was no violence and no guns like the one that shot her brother. I was beyond touched by her honesty and her sweet nature. Kids are FABULOUS!

I wrote letters with many kids (little ones to teens) and adults throughout the day. Some wrote touching, deep letters about their lives that brought tears to my eyes, while others stayed light. One sweet Mexican American 6 year-old girl wrote that she thinks the president should give toys to all the poor people because then everyone would be happy.

As the day progressed, we danced, made jewelry and painted t-shirts to be brought to the kids in the Congo.

Next, the program will move to New York, Chicago, New Orleans, Washington, DC and finally to the Congo. I’m not sure I will travel and continue to participate, but I am so very glad I was able to be a part of the very first event here in LA. I was touched by the kid’s stories, their openness and love. Working with organizations such as this reminds me how fortunate I am and how extremely important it is to give back.

Children Mending Hearts is FABULOUS.

7 comments:

Mark said...

Hi Chudney,

Thank you for sharing this great experience with us. It is wonderful that you lend your time & talents to support so many people in need. It sounds like "Children Mending Hearts" is a fabulous program that will truly help many children gain the skills that they will need for life, and it is great that you were a part of it!! Way to go!!!! You and your family always do so many great things to benefit people and charitable organizations. It is great to read things like this. Keep up the great work!

Sincerely,

Mark

P.S. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of Michael Jackson. Please send my condolences to your mother & your family. I am still shocked and very sad about this news. This is such a loss to the music industry and his family! :(

Freddie said...

You have a heart of gold.

It saddens me that so many children are distressed in this country, and the world. It makes me happy that there are people like you willing to give of themselves and their time to make it a bit easier for those truly in need.

I hope this event continues and becomes a success.

May GOD continually bless you for the wonderful things you do, you truly inspire.

Crying for MJJ said...

MJJ-RIP. I'll never forget the the promo "Diana Ross Introduces the Jackson 5".
So, so, so, sad. He had to have been abused and just couldn't get the help he needed.

Anonymous said...

so very sad, I am speechless !!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Chudney,

That is so amazing for you to spend time with kids who really needs it. Even if you can not travel around with the organization you can say that you did lend some support to the kids. Whether you believe it are not that really means a lot. I don't kno what it feels like to be homeless but I do kno what it feel like to abused. So to have someone like you to show some care can really help a child that is going those thing out alot. If you can write a book about your experience with those kids and what it meant to you to help them write about their feelings. It should feel really good that you was able to get out and help with the busy schedule you have. I am so proud of you and ur family for all the things u do. May God bless you all. Signing out LENA!!!!!!

Rosser Ruth! lol said...

It's all in the little girl's face :) Look at how she's looking at you, Chudney! Bless her. What a world we live in today... we must all count our blessings indeed. And when the hard times come, always someone is worse off. I imagine you are the ideal candidate for helping out at these events...teaching experience and the fact you obviously adore kids. I am ashamed to say it's been a long time since I've volunteered for anything like this...I would dearly love to but can't imagine where the time would come from. I have had the opportunity of spending a day with kids in an orphanage in Calcutta...it's truly heart breaking though as there is very little for them and many are in very poor health. They depend very much on crew making visits to offer hugs and some play time and to donate anything at all...paper, pencils, clothing, toys, sweets, nappies and so on. It's a very bitter sweet visit. But I admire soo much those who give of their time on a daily basis to anyone who needs the help and it's so comforting to know that THERE ARE many kind souls out there who do just that..."Make the world a better place for you and I".........

p.s. Chudney, your hair looked really cute in the pic :)

Mark said...

Well said, Ruth!!!!

It is so much fun reading everyone's wonderful comments here each week. Keep up the great support for Chudney!

Sincerely,

Mark

P.S. Happy July 4th to everyone here in the U.S.! If you are in another country, have a great weekend anyway!